- 1 head cabbage
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice, rinsed
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (32 ounce) can tomato juice
- Add all ingredients to list
- Prep25 m
- Cook7 h 14 m
- Ready In7 h 44 m
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook cabbage in boiling water until outer leaves pull away easily from the head, 3 to 5 minutes. Separate leaves and let cool. Reserve 1 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in wet rice; cook and stir until moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool, about 5 minutes.
- Mix beef, sausage, and egg together in a large bowl. Stir in cooled rice mixture.
- Place a golfball-sized amount of the beef mixture on the ribbed end of a cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the sides. Repeat with remaining beef mixture and cabbage leaves.
- Place rolls seam-side down in a slow cooker. Cover with tomato juice. Pour reserved cooking water on top.
- Cook on High for 30 minutes. Switch to Low and cook for 6 1/2 hours.
Per Serving: 403 calories; 21.7 g fat; 30.6 g carbohydrates; 22.4 g protein; 91 mg cholesterol; 884 mg sodium. Full nutrition