- 1/4 pound bacon, chopped
- 1 pound split peas, rinsed
- 1/3 (20 ounce) package frozen southern-style hash brown potatoes (such as Ore Ida®)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or more to taste (optional)
- 8 cups chicken broth
- Add all ingredients to list
- Prep25 m
- Cook8 h 5 m
- Ready In8 h 30 m
- Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Place bacon, split peas, hash brown potatoes, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and chicken broth in a slow cooker; stir to combine.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours (or High for 6 hours).
Per Serving: 258 calories; 2.9 g fat; 43 g carbohydrates; 16.7 g protein; 5 mg cholesterol; 156 mg sodium. Full nutrition