Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is the stew version of traditional Beef Stroganoff. An incredible slow cooked beef that’s fall-apart tender smothered in a creamy Stroganoff sauce with buttery garlic mushrooms, it’s made with economical stewing beef yet tastes like a million bucks!
It’s the slow cooked version of classic Beef Stroganoff. Besides the fact that it takes 8 hours in a slow cooker instead of 15 minutes on the stove, this stew version of Stroganoff differs from the traditional version in a few ways:
- Fall apart tender chunks of beef rather than thin strips that are just cooked so they’re juicy inside;
- Made with economical stewing beef rather than good to high quality well marbled steak (essential for a really great traditional Beef Stroganoff); and
- Deeper flavour in the sauce – owing to the long cook time. You can’t shortcut this kind of flavour!
Best cut of beef for SLOW COOKER Beef Stroganoff
This recipe needs to be made with economical stewing cuts that need to be cooked for a long time to become tender, such as:
- chuck beef
- boneless beef ribs
- beef cheeks
- gravy beef
In contrast, traditional Beef Stroganoff, which is cooked quickly on the stove, is best made with pricier cuts suitable for cooking as steaks, such as boneless rib eye/scotch fillet and sirloin.
- 1.75kg/ 3.5lb beef chuck or other stewing beef , cut in 4cm / 1.5” cube (Note 1)
- 1.5 tsp each salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 20g/ 1 tbsp butter , unsalted
- 1 large onion , halved then sliced into 1 cm / 2/5″ slices
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 4 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 7 tbsp (60g) flour , plain / all purpose
- 1 litre / 1 quart beef stock/broth , reduced salt
- 1.5 cups (300g) sour cream , full fat best
GARLIC BUTTER MUSHROOMS:
- 3tbsp/ 45g butter , unsalted
- 700g / 1.2lb mushrooms , sliced into 0.5cm thick slices
- 3 garlic cloves , finely minced
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Pasta, wide egg noodles, mashed potato
- Chives for garnish
- Pat beef dry then sprinkle with all the salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large heavy based pot or skillet* over high heat.
- Add beef in a single layer (not squished) and brown aggressively all over – 4 minutes or so. Remove and repeat with rest of beef, adding more oil as needed.
- Let the pot cool down a bit then return to stove. Melt half the butter, then cook garlic and onion for 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in flour, then mustard.
- Add the beef stock and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pot, and bring to simmer.
- Slow cooker: Transfer all liquid into slow cooker. Add beef, then slow cook 8 hours on LOW or 5 hours on HIGH.
- Stove: Add beef into pot. Cover with lid and adjust heat to low/medium low so the it’s simmering gently. Simmer 2 hrs (check at 1.5 hrs) until beef beef falls apart easily.
- Instant pot: SKIP FLOUR, follow Note 5 Gluten Free option. 40 minutes on high, same method as slow cooker.
- Other pressure cookers: 40 minutes on high, same method as slow cooker.
GARLIC BUTTER MUSHROOMS:
- Melt half the butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add half the mushrooms and cook until almost golden (~3 minutes). Add half the garlic, salt and pepper, cook until golden. Remove, repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Mix sour cream with 1.5 cups of liquid from slow cooker (Note 2), then gently stir into stew – careful, the beef is delicate!
- Gently stir in mushrooms.
- Serve over noodles, pasta or mashed potato, sprinkled with chives!
this recipe is sourced from: https://www.recipetineats.com/slow-cooker-beef-stroganoff/
Calories: 666kcal (33%)Carbohydrates: 12g (4%)Protein: 59g (118%)Fat: 44g (68%)Saturated Fat: 19g (119%)Cholesterol: 204mg (68%)Sodium: 1474mg (64%)Potassium: 1626mg (46%)Fiber: 2g (8%)Sugar: 3g (3%)Vitamin A: 281IU (6%)Vitamin C: 5mg (6%)Calcium: 64mg (6%)Iron: 7mg (39%)