- 1 (3 pound) beef chuck roast, trimmed
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 10 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 (1 inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 16 (6 inch) corn tortillas (optional)
- Add all ingredients to list
- Prep15 m
- Cook8 h
- Ready In8 h 15 m
- Put chuck roast into the crock of a slow cooker; add onion, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, jalapeno pepper, ginger root, rice vinegar, sesame oil, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on High for 8 hours (or on Low for 10 hours). Shred meat with a pair of forks and stir into the liquid in the slow cooker.
- Serve with corn tortillas and your favorite toppings.
- Cook’s Notes:
- This recipe was handed down to me, and I tweaked it a little by skipping the ginger and diced jalapeno. Instead I used 2 tablespoons garlic-chili paste from the Asian isle at the grocer. Depending on how spicy you like you may add more. We love spice!
- Also, for the the topping I added a shredded bag of cole slaw, thinly sliced cucumbers, and carrots, tossed in 1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, with salt and pepper to taste.
Per Serving: 456 calories; 22.4 g fat; 40.3 g carbohydrates; 23.9 g protein; 77 mg cholesterol; 697 mg sodium. Full nutrition