A copycat recipe for the bourbon chicken served at many food court Chinese restaurants. This may not be authentic Chinese food, but it is delicious.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 LB chicken thighs, skinless.
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (I used 4 turns on the pepper mill)
- 1/3 Cup soy sauce
- 1/3 Cup Bourbon (or whatever brown whiskey you have sitting around. Dark rum would probably work too). If you don’t keep alcohol in your house you can substitute apple juice or cranberry juice. If you use juice, use a little less brown sugar. It really is delicious with just apple juice and no Bourbon.
- 1/2 Cup water
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar (white wine vinegar or plain white vinegar would do if you don’t have rice vinegar)
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 3 Tbsp cold water