Topping The Baked Beignets
And if you are truly wanting the New Orleans Cafe De Monde experience, be sure to top your baked beignets with powdered sugar! And lots of it!
Brush the tops of the beignets with melted butter.
Then use a sifter or fine mesh colander to sprinkle the powdered sugar on top.There you have it, French Baked Beignets!!!
- 3/4 cup lukewarm water approximately 110°F
- 1/4 cup super fine sugar see note
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. butter melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cup flour more as needed
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. butter melted for brushing
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- In a large mixing bowl, using the whisk attachment, combine water, sugar, and yeast and stir to combine.Let sit for about 10 minutes until it starts to get foamy on the surface.
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To the mixing bowl add egg, buttermilk, 3 tbsp butter, salt and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- If available, replace whisk attachment with a dough hook. Slowly add in the flour and stir on medium-low speed until the dough begins to remove itself from the sides of the bowl. If needed add in additional flour in 1 Tbsp. increments until the dough pulls itself away from the bowl.
- Knead dough on medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Turn off preheated oven and place bowl in the oven with the door slightly ajar to rise for 15 minutes. *Cover bowl with a towel that has no danger of touching the heating elements of the oven.
- Remove bowl from the oven, close the door and preheat to 200°F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll dough out into a rectangle or square, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut 2-inch squares with a pizza cutter.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheets. Turn off preheated oven and place the baking sheets in the oven with the door slightly ajar to rise for 30 minutes. *Cover the baking sheets with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with baking spray.
- Remove baking sheets from oven, close the door and preheat to 375°F. Brush the tops lightly with milk.
- Bake individual baking sheets for 10-12 minutes until light golden brown. Let cool for about 5 minutes then brush the beignets tops lightly with 1 Tbsp. melted butter and generously dust with powdered sugar.
- .Beignets are best eaten warm and fresh.
If you plan to eat them on the next day, skip brushing them with butter and dusting them with powdered sugar and store in an air tight container.
Once ready to eat, brush them with melted butter and warm them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds Dust with powdered sugar and serve.Recipe provided by Make Your Meals
this recipe is sourced from: makeyourmeals.com